Dalchini or cinnamon are the strips of the inner bark of a tropical evergreen tree. These are pale-brown to tan strips which are generally thin and rolled inside one another.
Cinnamon is used mainly as a flavouring additive in a wide variety of cuisines, sweet and savoury dishes, breakfast cereals, snack foods, tea and traditional foods. The aroma and flavour of cinnamon are derived from its essential oil and principal component “cinnamaldehyde”.
Table of Contents
Synonyms of Dalchini
Cinnamon, Cinnamomum, Errikolam, Tamalpatra, Darusita, Dasini Chekka.
Dalchini possesses the virtue of Antibacterial actions, acts as a local antiseptic, contains anti-oxidants with anti-inflammatory effects, regulates the production of Insulin and much more. Some of its benefits include –
1. Dalchini for Digestive functions
It improves liver functioning, relieves diarrhoea and boosts digestion as it reduces the gas by decreasing the secretion of gastric acid and pepsin from the stomach walls.
2. Dalchini for Weight Loss
It removes AMA toxins from the body, improves absorption of nutrients from food, and help in burning belly fat and is also beneficial in treating gut anomalies.
3. For Diabetes
Ancient Ayurvedic treatment used Dalchini as the main component to treat Type 2 Diabetes. It reduces insulin resistance of the body
and thereby reduces the blood sugar level.
4. Dalchini for Cough and Cold
The cinnamon liquefies the mucus and expels it from the body. It has antitubercular activity and is beneficial for cough, cold, asthma and tuberculosis.
5. Improve Gut Health
Being a useful source of manganese, small amounts of calcium and fibre, it has prebiotic properties that promote the growth of beneficial bacteria and reduces the growth of pathogenic bacteria which helps in improving gut health.
6. Dalchini benefits for Skin
Due to the anti-inflammatory property present in Dalchini, it helps in fighting acne, pimples and other skin infections. It is also helpful in reducing the signs of ageing by increasing the production of Collagen and Elastin.
7. Menstrual Pain
Cinnamon is one of the best home remedies to reduce pain during menstruation or dysmenorrhea. In Ayurveda, Menstruation is controlled and governed by Vata dosha. Cinnamon has Vata balancing property and gives relief in dysmenorrhea. It controls aggravated Vata and reduces abdominal pain and cramps during menstruation.
Precautions while using Cinnamon
Cinnamon even outranks “Superfoods” like Garlic and Oregano in terms of Antioxidants. Despite such benefits, precautions one must take are as follows:
- It may cause gastrointestinal disorders and allergic reactions.
- Higher intake of cauramin, a component of Dalchini, can cause liver and kidney damages and affects the metabolic activity of Human being.
- It is generally advisable to monitor the blood pressure regularly while taking cinnamon along with antihypertensive drugs.
- Use Cinnamon oil with caution in case of hypersensitive or oily skin.
- Cinnamon Honey Face pack can be used to control acne.
- It can be consumed in form of powder taken up after a meal with honey.
- After lunch and Dinner, Cinnamon Capsules can be taken for better digestion.
- Cinnamon powder is taken with lukewarm water and honey to lose weight.
- Cinnamon can be consumed in form of tea as well.
How to make Cinnamon Tea?
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any prescribed amount of Dalchini to consume in a day?
How to store Dalchini?
Can dalchini powder help in weight loss?
Can cinnamon be consumed by patients having liver disorders?
Is cinnamon good for Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)?
How is dalchini helpful in dental problems?
What are the some benefits of consuming cinnamon with honey?
i) This mixture has the potential to lower the risk of the development of heart diseases.
ii) Both of them also aid in wound healing as they have well-documented healing properties.
iii) It helps in managing diabetes.
Sale! Out of stock